Horses, donkeys and other equines are present in many popular holiday destinations. Sadly a proportion of them suffer from poor welfare. If you’re travelling and see working equines, there are some things you should know about helping support the welfare of these animals.
Information from international equine welfare organisations:
- “Responsible Tourism” by World Horse Welfare – informative article
- “Responsible Animal Tourism” by SPANA includes their “Holiday Hooves Guide” (PDF file)
- “Responsible Tourism” by The Brooke, includes the “Happy Horses Holiday Code” (PDF file)
- Video – “SPANA Holiday Hooves“
- Video – “Responsible Tourism for Animals – Help us end the unnecessary suffering“
- For more information on organisations helping working equines all over the world see our page: “International Equine Welfare Links“
Images ~ A snapshot of the variety of working equines in tourist operations around the world. Note the different jobs, equipment, body condition, etc. Although no-one can judge 100% from a single photo, we post these here to provide food for thought on what sort of choices can be made in different sorts of situations.