The horse community is already supporting fire affected people with their equines and other animals. Links below will be updated as we find out more about various organisations helping those in need, plus social networking sites collating information. Links cover latest news and how you can help.
** Reminder: Make (or update) your emergency plans now ~ visit our Equine Emergency Resource page for more information **
Basic info only, please click links for full details. In alphabetical order:
Animal Welfare League of NSW
- AWL have set up at the North Richmond Community Centre evacuation centre. See their Facebook page for updates, or go straight to the initial FB post with all the details here.
Heavy Horse Heaven
- HHH are working with the DPI to help families with horses and other animals. Including evacuating horses, feeding horses in closed areas, doing welfare checks and advising on health problems that can occur after a fire. Details of donations required and other updates via their Facebook page.
Horse Welfare Inc
- HWI are working with RSPCA NSW with equine support and services to the affected areas. Facebook page.
Hunter Animal Rescue
- Are working with RSPCA NSW and sharing various fire related posts on their Facebook page.
Hunter Valley Brumby Association
- HVBA crew have been helping with equine evacuations and welfare checks. For details and future updates see their Facebook page.
NARGA (National Animal Rescue Groups of Australia Inc)
- NARGA’s disaster response team have swung into action, taking requests for assistance, offers of help, list of drop off points for donations, and news updates. Find out more on the NARGA Disaster Response Team Facebook page.
North West Equine Rescue
- Members of NWER will be traveling down to fire affected areas, taking donations of horse gear collected from drop off points at Tamworth and Moree. Please see post with details on their Facebook page, and check latest posts on the page for future updates.
- RSPCA are working with DPI, evacuating animals, checking welfare, providing veterinary care, emergency boarding, wildlife rescue, etc. Read about it on the RSPCA NSW blog, follow their Facebook page or head to their website to make a donation.
Social media can be invaluable for getting the word out in times of emergency. Links to social media sharing important information:
Facebook Group – Blue Mountains Fire Evacuation Support For Pets
- Offers of help, evacuation accommodation, lost and found pets and other useful information. Link to Facebook group.
Facebook Group – Blue Mountains and Lithgow Animal Network
- Sharing fire related posts. Link to Facebook group.
Facebook Group – Pets Lost + Found in the Hunter Valley
- Lost and Found post sharing, plus they are compiling a list of people offering evacuation assistance for pets and livestock. It is a closed group so you will need to join to see anything posted in the group. Facebook Group link.
This page will continue to be updated, please let us know in the comments below if there are any links we should add here.