Animal Welfare Investigations and Cruelty Cases
- Update on a well known case involving a large number of horses at Candelo in NSW, via the “Save the Penderlea Horses” Facebook page (*Content Warning, the facebook page contains images that some may find distressing, including deceased and suffering horses) – Lengthy court process has commenced, with the horse owner pleading not guilty to 38 charges (read list of charges in previous report) and another 16 charges now confirmed to have been added, bringing the total to 54 charges. Information from newspaper report shared on Facebook.
- Kath Massey from the Hunter Valley Brumby Association was interviewed on ABC radio: “Brumby book and the story of Wildfire” *Graphic content warning for story of Wildfire*
- Seven brumby mares illegally shot in Victoria’s high country *Graphic content warning* : “Brumbies killed in high country“
- RSPCA Victoria submission to roundtable supports aerial culling of brumbies in certain circumstances (note, full text of letter is not included in report) *graphic content warning, images of deceased horses*: “RSPCA backs cull of wild brumbies” and “Brumby aerial culling proposal shocks“
- Australian Brumby Alliance responds to RSPCA Victoria submission, media release: “ABA disappointed by RSPCA support for aerial culling“
- Non profit organisation Victorian National Parks Association is calling on Parks Victoria to cull brumbies, however Parks Victoria have ruled this out and state in this article that shooting is not an option ~ “National Parks Association backs call for brumby cull in Alpine region“
- The Australian Brumby Challenge
- Issues of wastage, racehorse rehoming, two year old racing and more were brought to mainstream attention via a feature article in Good Weekend Magazine. Read article and see video online (*Content warning, video contains distressing images) – “They shoot horses, don’t they?”
- “Anti-Jumps Race Protesters Arrested” in South Australia – members of the Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses and Animal Liberation South Australia released a video of the incident on the HorseRacingKills youtube channell (blanket graphic content warning for the HorseRacingKills channel)
- First ever standardbred in the prestigious Garryowen ~ Read all about it on the Australian Harness Racing website
- We wished happy birthday to all standardbreds on 1st Sept (Photo post on FB) – you can find out more about standardbred rehoming, including organisations with adoption programs, on our standardbred page.
- We wished happy father’s day to the breeding stallions of Australia on Facebook.
- “Calls for animals to be counted in emergency plans“
- Report via EquineER website on a recent rescue: “Blue Mountains Mare Rescued“
- An important reminder of the dangers of feeding lawn clippings to horses “Lawn clippings dangerous fare for horses“
- USA, flooding in Colorado – “Ranchers rescue horses, cattle after seeing them alive on TV“
- “Illegal Medicine Seized at Sheikh Mohammed’s Endurance Facility in Newmarket” and “Princess Haya of Jordan faces fight to continue as FEI president due to Sheikh Mohammed ‘conflict of interest’“
- Britain – “Man who struck police horse warned to expect jail“
Positive posts for sharing
- Thousands of people have now seen this post about transporting horses, seems it really struck a chord – “Dear Drivers“